Sunday, September 6, 2009

Whaaaa...?

I just saw this Beatles list from EW. I felt like I should have seen this two days ago, but you know. Sometimes I am busy sitting around... doing nothing.

It's pretty bad, for the record. I mean, the list of the 50 "best" is OK... as big of a mixed bag as you could expect (good=Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields, Across The Universe high. bad=Here Comes The Sun, I Am The Walrus low), but there's still a few nuggets of overwhelming stupidity.

First, Stereogum posted the write-up of why A Hard Day's Night is their best, and it goes something like this: Forty-five years after this single hit the top of the charts yada yada blah blah etc. etc. chased by a mob of screaming, ravenous fans. This isn't just a pop song, it's a cathartic cry for Help!

One, the song really isn't a cry for help. Two, a more cathartic cry for help is this song called Help! It's actually better than A Hard Day's Night. So maybe it isn't the best idea to use another song to justify why this song deserves the top spot (their reasoning is pretty much purely historical... which is stupid, by the way).

Also, the list of worst songs is topped by All You Need Is Love, which appeared on the best list at the opening number of 50. Which means that they picked the song just to be controversial. Which, again, is stupid. Had the song appeared on the best list somewhere like at 38, for example... then I could buy people arguing for and against its merits to justify its inclusion on both lists. But no. The had to be cute and everything.

For the record, the worst five are as follows: 1) Hello Goodbye, 2) The Long And Winding Road 3) Honey Pie, 4) Here, There And Everywhere, 5) She's Leaving Home. There's a trend, if you can notice it... and the trend is that Paul McCartney kind of sucks.

Hell. I'll do a top 50 list right now. 1) Tomorrow Never Knows, 2) I Am The Walrus, 3) Strawberry Fields Forever, 4) Across The Universe, 5) Here Comes The Sun, 6) Help!, 7) I Saw Her Standing There, 8) In My Life, 9) Dear Prudence, 10) Nowhere Man, 11) All My Loving, 12) Eleanor Rigby, 13) I've Just Seen A Face, 14) I Feel Fine, 15) A Hard Day's Night, 16) Day Tripper, 17) A Day In The Life, 18) Norwegian Wood, 19) You Won't See Me, 20) Mother Nature's Son, 21) Sexy Sadie, 22) You Never Give Me Your Money, 23) Dig It, 24) Love You To, 25) Yellow Submarine, 26) The Word, 27) Penny Lane, 28) Something, 29) Hey Jude (would actually be higher now that I think about it), 30) I'll Follow The Sun, 31) If I Needed Someone, 32) You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, 33) I Should Have Known Better, 34) I Want To Hold Your Hand, 35) Taxman, 36) Cry Baby Cry, 37) Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, 38) Yesterday, 39) All You Need Is Love, 40) And I Love Her, 41) While My Guitar Gently Weeps, 42) Drive My Car, 43) Lady Madonna, 44) For No One, 45-47) Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, 48) With A Little Help From My Friends, 49) It Won't Be Long, 50) Paperback Writer.

There. I made that list in about 10-15 minutes. Probably about the same amount of time that EW took to make theirs, I'd say (and they probably have someone who can type faster than I am).

Also, I'll stop writing about the Beatles once their current resurgence dies down. Which should be... about a week after the game comes out.

Also, I was going to write that in my label portion, but apparently Blogger only likes moderately wordy labels instead of monstrously wordy ones.

Also, italics is turned on for some reason and I am making the executive decision to not change it back for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment