The Eyeballing Game.
Some of you out there may have already heard about this little game. (If you haven't seen this... familiarize yourself first, come back, then read the rest of this. I apologize in advance.) Some of you may have even introduced me to the game (hey Sara). The purpose of this post, however, is not to raise the general awareness of this game. The purpose of this post is to fully reveal how this game is slowly beginning to consume my life.
It's a hard game to master. When I first began to play this, I was absolutely terrible, scoring in the 6 or so range. That has narrowed down to a typical 3.5 average, which is something decent, but I find myself wanting more. There's this need to be the best, a desire to at least be number one on the past 500 games chart that is going to keep me playing until I achieve that. I don't know if that is ever going to be the case (since you could easily break out a protractor and cheat to get a good score), but it's going to keep me trying. And trying. And trying. I've been as high as 4th, but it JUST AIN'T ENOUGH.
This isn't the only reason that I keep playing, however.
(ACK! 0.4 OFF FROM THE TOP 10! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? o.4!!)
(I know you don't really care and everything, but pretend to have some sympathy for me. Just this once.)
1) The thing that keeps track of your scores is labeled as "your inaccuracies by category." To me, it makes the game sound like a condescending prick. So I keep playing to prove it wrong (since, you know... proving someone wrong is much more fun when that someone is a condescending prick). The only problem with this is that sometimes I score pretty badly, and the scores become hard to look at. Which means then that the condescending prick is proven right, which makes it seem all the more condescending, and all the more prick-ier. So it's a double edged sword... with extra edge on the bad side.
2) So there is an actual point to the game, as it is apparently a tool designed to make woodworkers or construction workers more capable in making sound geometrical measurements. Which is cool and all, but when I play the game and totally suck, I think to myself "man, I would suck at woodworking." So at a point in my life where I am obsessing over the fact that I don't exactly know what I want to do for the rest of my life, the game makes me feel incompetent while also limiting my future job prospects.
Of course, the optimistic flip side to that is that while it whittles my potential list of careers down, it also would make the decision easier as I have less options to worry about. But that's really stupid.
3) The scoring system is such that the top ten scores are listed to the right of the game, but they only list the best from the last 500 games played.
So you know how people from really popular reality TV shows enjoy their 15 minutes of fame for a while, and then start to lose their grasp on that little piece of fame, prompting them to try to milk whatever fame they have left by appearing in commercials, game shows, more reality shows, etc. in a way to make them look desperate? Well, now I know how they feel.
Like, right now... I'm in the top ten twice... in 3rd & 5th. That's pretty cool and everything, right? But what about in another 500 games or so? I'll be gone. I'll be a nobody again. Nobody will love me and nobody will think I'm good at anything.
I NEED TO KEEP PLAYING SO I CAN BE LOVED.
So congrats to the person who made this. Not only have you made the most addicting game on the internet, but you have also managed to make a game that has tapped into my insecurities, forcing me to keep attempting to improve my scores in an effort to raise my feeble confidence up.
I don't know how you did that, or if you're proud of this fact... but you did. So there you go.
I totally have the top score right now.
ReplyDelete2.21.
People should check it out before it goes away.
DARN YOU MATT ECKENRODE.
ReplyDeleteDARN YOU NAMELESS SCOUNDREL.
ReplyDelete