Friday, May 18, 2012

Haven't updated in a while, blah blah blah, excuse excuse excuse...

Well, I've got time to do it now, considering that I unexpectedly have the weekend off from work.  Which would be great under any other circumstances... since this also happens to be my birthday weekend and everything... but considering the fact that:

1) I'm already taking next weekend off.
2) THEY NEGLECTED TO TELL ME THAT EVERYONE AT THE GROUP HOME WOULD BE ON VACATION, AND SO I DROVE 30 MINUTES TO THE PLACE (thanks to MNDOT closing all my most used stretches of highways this weekend) TO FIND AN EMPTY HOUSE AND NO WAY TO CONTACT THE IMMEDIATE SUPERVISORS SINCE THEIR PHONES WERE TURNED OFF.

I'm a little bit annoyed.

I don't even really have anything to write about.  It's my birthday this weekend, though! 

I *was* going to work for the first 12 hours of my birthday, since I was going to let Sara work in order that she could then go home for Memorial Day Weekend (which is where I'll be next week as well), but now that's free and I'm not really sure what to do.

It'll probably end up being used to watch Nicolas Cage movies, since that's what I decided I'd do for my birthday weekend.

Just watched one tonight: Honeymoon In Vegas.  It's a solid 6/10.  Felt kind of like a production line Hollywood release for a while, but then the plot (and Nic Cage) becomes more absurd and ludicrous, and the film becomes all the better for it.  Would have the title of "most absurd skydiving scene" if Point Break didn't exist.

Also watched Deadfall... which was really bad.  Well... I watched the first half of it, until Nicolas Cage's character dies and I lost interest (yeah, spoilers, but... it's really bad, so you'd only want to watch the first half to see his performance.  So really I'm doing you a favor.) and fell asleep.  But the plot is really rote and uninteresting.  And really, the only thing worth it is Nicolas Cage, for better or worse.

I believe his brother directed this movie, and that Nic was appearing in this as essentially a favor.  Also he apparently got free reign to do whatever he pleased.  Which meant that he appeared in the worst wig possible... and for his portrayal as a lunatic coke-head, he turned up to eleven.  No, that's a lie.  He literally turned it up to about twenty-six.



I'm guessing most probably wouldn't appreciate this as much as I do... and describe it as over-the-top and hammy.  Which it is.  But there's this magnetism to him that I can't properly describe in words.  It's if he exists on a different planet and has a completely different understanding of what being an actor means.  Sometimes his Nic Cage-ness is contained--and it results in legitimately great performances such as the ones in Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas.  But then that full Nic Cage-ness is sometimes completely unleashed, and it's a sight to behold.  It makes bad films eminently watchable, and routine scenes suddenly acquiesce to the will and stylings of this singular man.

So in any case, I'm going to watch a lot of his movies this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment