Thursday, November 19, 2009

Things I thought about today

So I just realized today that both Up and Star Trek feature scores from the same guy.

It's funny, because I thought both of them were pretty amazing and (especially in the case of Star Trek) made the viewing experience that much more exhilarating. Which lead to Google searching hoping to uncover some selections from each movie. Which wasn't really all that successful, because I was looking for the music that was playing in Star Trek right as baby Kirk was about to be born (right when all the other sounds promptly die off to make the scene much more epic and such) and got frustrated quickly thereafter, but still.

I always feel like I should invest more time into film soundtracks since they can pretty much make or break how I feel about a film. Perhaps it's just that I associate the music with images so closely that to listen to it without the accompanying images would be disappointing. Maybe it's because I don't really know which ones I really actually might like. I think I only have two soundtracks on my iTunes... that being A Clockwork Orange and 8 1/2... and the latter was especially disappointing, since I sought it out so I could hear one little piece only to discover that it wasn't on the disc.

(It's this by the way. In the scene where Guido fantasizes about his childhood... it's not necessarily awe-inspiring, but it's so damn melancholic. I also contribute about 34% of my appreciation of the film to it... )



Oh, and I forgot that I also own The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly soundtrack on vinyl.

Oh, and I fought laziness and encountered the piece from Star Trek. Just imagine a noisy intergalactic space battle--with all the sound suddenly fading out to make way for this. It's pretty cool. It's also the point where I realized that I might actually *like* the friggin' movie.



(I can't remember if I ever wrote about Star Trek, but three things really made me enjoy it despite never really caring much for the TV series: 1) the music, 2) its sense of humor, and 3) the lens flares. Apparently a lot of people didn't like the lens flares, which puzzles the crap out of me. Not only does it give the film its own visual flair, but it gives me more of a sense of a futuristic setting that the usual tricks don't usually do.)

I don't know where I was going with this, but this seems like a good place to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment