Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bruno

This is coming out to DVD this next week. So I got an advance copy of it to watch. Quick thoughts.

-It's probably the dirtiest R rated film I could possibly think of.

-It's funny at parts, but it's really not as funny as it thinks it is. And obviously, it's trying to do the same thing as Borat and try to reveal underlying hatred. But the problem is that everything is painted in LARGE brush strokes. Bruno is pretty much made to be a huge stereotype, and so the ones who actually react with hatred are just as large stereotypes. Cause, you know... rednecks are easy targets. Cool. Let's go for them instead of going after anyone difficult.

And the problem is that the movie tries to provoke so many uncomfortable moments that it sometimes doesn't boil down to homophobia or anything like that, but rather just down to how people can deal with extremely uncomfortable situations. I'm thinking of the hotel scene mainly, where some guy gets called in and--well, I really don't know how to describe it. It's not that the dude seems to be homophobic or anything, it's just that the scene is so bizarre, that no matter what people's opinions are some people would not be comfortable with it. What I'm trying to say is that I think the film fails in getting any sort of point across effectively. I haven't seen Borat since it was released in 2006, but I at least remember there being scenes in which people's discomfort in a foreigner were revealed in interesting ways. This doesn't really have that.

The scenes focusing in on the culture of celebrity (and its vapid nature) work a little better for me, but unfortunately it also tries way too hard for humor. There's a scene in which Bruno is about to interview Paula Abdul, and they don't have any furniture, so they recruit some Mexican workers to act as furniture. Not only does Paula go along with it, but then the first question discussed is about Paula's charity work and how she likes to help people (you know, as she's sitting on the back of this poor immigrant). It's wonderfully absurd, but then the scene is ruined by bringing in a guy fashioned as a food plate in an obvious attempt for shock value.

So basically, I don't know what the heck the point of it all is.

RATING:

No comments:

Post a Comment