Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I really like driving. I really do. There's something very relaxing about being in control of this large vehicle moving at fast speeds, while listening to something you like on the radio (which would be 89.3 The Current for me, even though I dislike half the stuff and the DJ with the weird accent annoys me--I could probably tell you his name if I listened to the station more than once a month (which is also the amount I drive in 3o days)).

Even better is when I have a vague idea of where I'm going, but really no clue how to get there. A lot of people think it's stressful, but it's kind of exciting to me. One time I was visiting a friend who was staying in the cities right after the 35W bridge collapsed, and the only way I knew how to get to his place was closed off due to 35W related shenanigans. It took me about an hour to get there... at one point I was a block or two away, but the road I was on didn't connect to his road, and then curved off in some weird direction. It took me about 15-20 minutes after that. It's actually fun. You just need to not be under the heavy burden of time, and then it becomes a little puzzle that can be somewhat challenging since city road layouts can be really stupid at times.

I don't own a car at the moment, mostly due to budget constraints and also because for a while I labored under the romantic ideal that life would be much more enjoyable and hassle free without one (wrong: just a lot cheaper). Maybe at some point I'll actually own one, but I'm guessing that since I'll be barely getting by for these next few months, that probably won't happen. Also, I sort of don't want to be oversaturated with nice cruises down the road, because inevitably my experiences will be ruined by you.

(You meaning "everyone else" here. I think it's a saying everyone thinks that they're the best at driving. If it isn't, then it's really weird cause I feel like I just read it a few days ago... anyway, I'm not confident enough to write that it's a saying without adding this long rambling footnote to it, at least.)

Certain things bother me. Like tailgating. I try not to let things bother me, and I try to like everyone I come across and everything, but tailgaters are my least favorite people on Earth. If I were to meet a person, and considered them a friend, then got into the car and found out that they were extreme tailgaters, I just might break off the friendship. Cause obviously, their driving tendencies must then mirror their own character traits, and so tailgaters must be selfish jackasses. That's just how it must be.

Perhaps if the concept of a personal bubble didn't exist, it wouldn't bother me to the extent that it does. But it annoys me when some guy willingly makes you uncomfortable just because you're going only a bit above the speed limit, just because he wants to get to Taco Bell 28 seconds quicker. I'm saying all this because I saw some tailgating while out on the road today... the worst example was some guy right on the tail of another--who was going 65 on a 55 mph road. Then the dude tried to pass the other guy in a no passing zone, right as they were about to reach the top of a hill as well.

It made me wish that the driver would get in a horrible accident that would either result in him losing his leg, or resulting in legal damages up the wazoo. Those aren't particularly good thoughts to have, I'm presuming, and although I don't think it has resulted in any poor driving decisions (such as... slamming on the brakes when someone is tailgating me) nor do I think it will, it's still sort of unsettling that I'm wishing bodily harm to someone. It makes me rethink the whole "dang, I should get a car" stance I've been taking the past few weeks.

For a while, at least. Then I walk 20+ minutes to get where I need to go every single day.

Which isn't terrible, but you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment