Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sad news to report:

Not sad news for me per se, but sad news in general.

FOX canceled a show called Dollhouse today.

Normally I wouldn't care about this because... I've never seen the show, and the only foray into televised sci-fi has probably been Space Ghost: Coast To Coast (if we broaden our definition of sci-fi to its loosest form possible), but I am posting this now because I want to extend my deep sympathies to the random guy on the street we ran into on Sunday.

So Sara and I were at this one event put on by this German group whose name I'm forgetting. And as we were about to head home, we were approached by this guy with a clipboard. Now, in my experience guy approaching you with something on the street = he wants your money. It actually happened earlier in the day when some guy wanted to do a portrait of us for $5 (which I refused... because I had little use of a portrait of myself.)

But this guy? He just wanted us to sign a petition to save Dollhouse.

It was at the same time refreshing and yet kind of weird. I mean, in a period in which the internet is pretty much taking over the world, replacing the traditional forms of media to create this one superpower... it's kind of cool to see a material petition in someone's actual hands, instead of the now more ubiquitous online form.

At the same time... isn't it a lot more effective to go online anyway for this type of petition? I'm assuming that-unless there's an extraordinary amount of German-American fans of the show-there's not going to be a whole lot of people that really care or have heard about the show. And I'd imagine that going to the streets for a petition would be for a cause that's actually relevant and topical, but this was for a TV show. Again, it was cool, but weird.

But hey, all the power to the guy. It was kind of funny, as the petition dude seemed to be a little on the geeky side, and then he did the stereotypical "drop the papers you're holding" thing to pretty much confirm it. But still, he was going out to the people fighting to save the show that I am assuming he loved. And I hope he isn't taking this news too hard, even if it was inevitable like the article says.

Hopefully this news won't discourage him either. Keep on fighting the good fight, good sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment