This is kind of a boring post, but I haven't written in two days and I feel the need to throw off something in an effort to make myself feel better, but Pitchfork did the whole "best albums of decade" thing this week, and the top 20 was revealed today.
NOW. I was fearing for the worst, anticipating that something would go terribly, terribly wrong... such as Merriweather Post Pavillion for some UNGODLY REASON placing #1. I was convinced of it. I really was. If not #1, then #2, or #3. I was going to make a huge complaint about the entire thing, and cast myself as the ultimate outsider, the one who believes the record will be regarded as inessential in a few years time (like it should be now... but maybe I'm just weird). It was going to be great... I was going to taking on the world, and I was going to win (in my own mind, at least.)
Then the album showed up at #14. Which to me, is an admission of "OK, we like it, but we don't want to overrate it considering how we don't know how it'll age." Which is totally OK with me.
It's actually a pretty conservative list, as 9 of the 10 appear from the first half of the decade, all except Person Pitch (which is the precursor to Merriweather Post Pavillion, I guess... but a little more likable because it's less annoying).
HEY! My own top 10, because I feel like it, even though the decade isn't over yet (and I'm doubting that someone like the Flaming Lips will release anything good enough.)
1) Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (if you're going to be weird and say it was released in 2000)
2) The National - Alligator
3) Radiohead - Amnesiac
4) The National - Boxer
5) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
6) Radiohead - In Rainbows
7) Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
8) LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
9) Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
10) Sigur Ros - ( )
11) Radiohead - Kid A (if #1 came out in 1999, according to you.)
Boring, but you know.
No comments:
Post a Comment