Yesterday:
Watched the Star Wars Holiday Special for the fifth or sixth time (I can't remember... which might not be a good sign.) Usually watching a particular recorded event such as a film or a television show isn't the biggest deal in the world (other than showing a) you're quite fanatical about what you watched, or b) you have a lot of free time. I'd probably fall in the "b" category).
But HEY!! A lot of people I know have either struggled to get through 10 minutes of the special, or flat out refused to watch it. So the fact that I've watched it 5 or 6 times... well, that means I'm one of the 0.01% of the world's population that has watched it that many times. That's a pretty cool accomplishment, right?
Although it's actually really easy to watch it over and over.
You need a few things, though:
1) A group of people to watch it with. This is key, because not only is making fun of it a lot easier in a group, but inevitably someone will have enough and stop watching. Which means that you'll be able to make fun of them for the rest of the night, you know... saying they're not "man" enough and such. And if it's a female that leaves... I guess give them crap about not being "woman" enough. I think it works just the same.
Last night was actually my first time watching it alone, although I watched it with a Rifftrax commentary along with it (which was OK... I'm not the biggest fan of MST3K, but it's interesting hearing them lampoon something you're already familiar with).
2) A lot of free time. Cause you'll probably kill yourself with guilt if, for some reason, you decide to watch this instead of writing an essay due the next day or something. Trust me, you'll regret it immensely.
3) A lack of guilt for watching this over something else. Cause really, American History X isn't going to teach you anything new about racism, or be all that entertaining, really. So you might as well roll with something you KNOW will be bad.
(Guess who saw a certain movie for the first time recently).
4) Don't possess too much reverence for Star Wars. Cause if you do, I'd imagine that you might not like this so much. Or maybe you would... I don't know. Depends on if you think Bea Arthur and Art Carney belong in the Star Wars universe. As someone who kinda thinks Star Wars is overrated, it's fun to watch characters so beloved get involved with such a huge mess.
Ooh. I thought of a cool comparison. The original Star Wars series is like Tom Waits. The new Star Wars trilogy is like Scarlett Johansson recording an album of Tom Waits covers--you're not really opposed to the idea, but it's executed so poorly that you wish it never existed. The Star Wars Holiday Special? It's like is Miley Cyrus decided to come out with an album of Tom Waits covers--you should be absolutely horrified by the thought, but at the same time there's a strange and perverse intrigue to it.
You know, that was supposed to help my argument... hmm... anyway, my point was that the idea itself was absolutely abominable, but it's so bad that it sorta becomes a funny concept. Or something.
My typing has really been thrown off, for the record. I've been playing this game called Semantic Wars, which is a combination of hangman and storm the castle. And so all the letters pop up as I type them, so for a word like "literature" I'd only have to type "literau". After hours of playing that game, words that possess a letter that appears twice become a lot more difficult than they've ever been.
No comments:
Post a Comment