Saturday, August 22, 2009

Things that have pissed me off

-So I had my headphones break the other day. Actually, I had them break three nights ago. It wasn't terribly surprising... they were kind of falling apart even though they weren't that old and I didn't really treat it terribly. They quit working in one of the ear pieces. It was still disappointing.

WELL. I bought new, theoretically improved headphones. They were the only one at the store that I liked (the non-ear bud yet with that thing to hold it over your ear). They worked well. For about two whole days. Then they quit working in one of the ear pieces. For cripes sake.

I'm going to the store tomorrow to see if I can get a replacement, but I have a sinking feeling they won't. It's really weird that they both died the same way, though. I'm guessing they both heard what my iTunes was playing and decided to off themselves. This new pair just made that decision exceedingly rash.

-Websites like this.

So the whole "best songs of the decade" thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, not because they neglected to include some of the better songs of the decade (in my opinion), but THE DECADE ISN'T OVER YET!!! I mean, it's one thing to do a "best-of-the-year" thing in December, but why can't this wait till later? You're going to be doing squadoosh in January, so why not do this then? In fact, why don't you do this a few years later? Year-end lists are OK, because even if something's released in January or December, they're both going to lack a proper perspective. But with this, you're just increasing the likelihood that the "hip band of the moment" with the sweet single or whatever are going to be ranked much higher than they deserve, at the expense of other stuff that possesses at least some decent perspective.

I don't know. Mainly, they should've included "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart". And "Fake Empire." And "Staralfur" and "Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa".

-Speaking of Pitchfork... they posted the origins of Weezer's new album title, because God knows they must explain themselves for picking such a terrible name such as "Raditude." Because Weezer used to be such a cool band that I listened to back in high school, so the idea that they have decided to make music for the current high school demographic instead of ME just makes one want to post snarky comments about how stupid their album title is!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Seriously, here are a few choice quotes from the article, in case you don't click it (and I'm assuming you won't, but that's OK). Bolded parts are key.

...Rainn Wilson named the album. Quoth Rivers: "[Wilson] has a super-rock persona. When it came time to find a title for the Weezer album, I asked him what he thought the ultimate album title would be, and he said 'Raditude.'"

That makes sense. Raditude is what happens when you let Dwight from "The Office" name your album.

Oh. And...

Abysmal early leaks "I'm Your Daddy" and "The Girl Got Hot" will both make the album, and Cuomo isn't remotely embarrassed about either. Here's how he described the record: "The sound of Raditude is fun, high energy pop rock. 'I'm Your Daddy' has an up vibe with the same heavy Weezer guitar riff but with a little electro influence. And 'The Girl Got Hot' -- that's kind of a witty party jam."

Electro influence. Witty party jam. Right.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

OK. So Weezer put out some decent albums back in the day, but since they returned, they've gone in a different direction than maybe their older fans would've liked. THAT IS OK. GET OVER IT.

I mean, Cuomo made Pinkerton, which is something I might even call "great" (the Blue Album is merely OK in my book), but it was also pretty miserable. If Cuomo doesn't want to revisit that period again (and I mean, it took him 5 years to follow it up), then let him make simple pop geared towards high schoolers (or whatever you'd like to call it) if it's what he wants to do. Don't be a pompous prick and insinuate that he's become a huge moron by going this route.

I mean, OK... I understand initial disappointment of hearing Weezer's "new direction", but it's been 8 years. They're not going to make anything like The Blue Album like you'd prefer. That's OK. There are other bands out there worthy of attention, and the band will always be there in case you want to see if anything catches your attention (and to be frank, their new single is pretty alright, although too clunkily titled for my lazy hands to type).

I don't know why I'm so worked up about it.

-I have a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment