Friday, August 28, 2009

Beatles: Rock Band PREVIEW!!!

Oh yes. Courtesy of ME!! And my countless number of connections that allowed me to get my hands on this game before its release date.

(Translation: I walked into Best Buy today and saw that they had a preview for the game. And I played it.)

So I've been excited for the game for a long while now, and although I probably won't be able to buy it until I'm 30 or so (that's probably about the time I'll start making money, I'm presuming), I look forward to... someone having it. Provided my friends are cool enough or something. Anyway, I played the thing, and I'm going to share my thoughts about my experience with you! The reader who could care less about the game! Yeah!

-The Beatles are in their own videogame. Of course, this is obvious, but I thought I'd mention it. I think back in the day when I had an active imagination, I thought it would be cool for the Beatles to have their own game, except instead it would've been more like "escape all the female fans to make it to the airport so you can play a gig in Chicago on time!" So basically, "A Hard Day's Night: The Game". But this is cool too. I'm assuming that fans of Metallica and Aerosmith also thought the band having their own videogame was pretty cool too, but I hate both of those bands, so screw them.

-The presentation of the game seems to be the game's selling point, as you're going through "the life and times of the Beatles" or something. All I know is that watching the band play "Yellow Submarine" in the studio, then magically relocating to the sea before hopping aboard a submarine that floats its way up to the surface was kind of awesome. I don't know how long the novelty of watching these things will last, but they do add a nice touch to the game. So instead of watching guys play their instruments, you feel like you're watching a nicely done music video. Which is cool. A few of the songs were also set in Shea Stadium, which had them just playing their instruments and such... but it did feel weird to play something that was a part of history. Sort of like World War II games or recreations of classic scenarios in sports games... except weirder because this doesn't seem like it'd translate into a video game. It'd be sort of like playing as Kennedy against Nixon in the televised presidential debate. Or something like that.

-I only played the guitar, but the songs themselves are still pretty cool. I thought there might be a problem with a lack of challenge, which has been lessened with the little playthrough. See, I was worried everything would be easy, which would make the songs boring. But I like what they did--gave the songs a slight challenge, but overall made sure the songs themselves were fun to play. Which is what I really wanted. Cause honestly, the thrash metal songs on Rock Band that most consider to be "challenging" I hate to play.

-HOLY F'N BALLS I'M LOOKING AT THE GAME'S WIKIPEDIA PAGE AND HARRISON'S SON LOOKS *JUST* LIKE HIM.

Anyway. That's about all that I impressioned (I don't think that's a word... but it should be). In case anyone reading this has an extra $60 they want to waste and might be thinking to waste it on me... I think you're the swellest person in the world and I love you.

3 comments: