OK. So I just went home. My brother has been talking about the Vikings preseason game since I got home... unfortunately, I went back before the game started, so I wouldn't be able to watch the game with him, much to his dismay. Feeling bad, I am watching the game right now, as a way of watching the game with my brother "in spirit." I'll probably turn it off once it becomes entirely pointless, but you know...
Here are some of my thoughts... not necessarily related to the game or anything, but at least partially inspired by the game. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I don't like delving into in-depth analysis (mainly because it's boring), so I'm just going to write whatever I feel like... essentially turning off sports fans and non-sports fans alike.
-So the Vikings are sort of mired in this quarterback controversy, in which all the QBs we have completely blow and the entire competition of who will win the starting spot is essentially a question of "who will suck less?" So that's what the main appeal of watching this game... seeing if either Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson suck less than the other.
My official opinion is that Rosenfels looked decent in his 1st quarter appearance, but I have a few problems with him, none of which have anything to do with his playing ability. The first strike is that his name is Sage Rosenfels... since I'm someone that subscribes to a ridiculous theory that you need a cool name to have a better chance at success, the name doesn't cut it. I mean, look at some of the best QBs... Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Tom Brady... all have that classic name that you'd want your starting QB to possess. I mean, some people excel without having cool names (Fran Tarkenton, Brett Favre), but it certainly helps. If I had a name like Johnny Unitas, I'd probably think I'm hot s*** and carry myself with all the confidence in the world.
But Sage Rosenfels? First off, the last name is kind of awkward. But you can get past that depending on how the first name fits with the last ... something like Michael would help. Michael Rosenfels wouldn't be the greatest name in the world, but it has a little bit of a flow to it. But naming the kid Sage? One, it makes the kid feel like a dork (which shouldn't make one feel any better about themselves), and two, it not only makes the opposition not fear Sage at all, but it'd have to make them chomp at the bit at playing against him. It's a pretty bad name. Tarvaris Jackson isn't much better, but you'd think he has an OK chance at success.
The second complaint I have against him is that he wears the number 2. I can't think of any decent QB that's ever worn the number, but not only that... it makes me think that Sage wanted a low number, but when he could have gone for #1, he instead settled for #2. Thus, I don't think Sage has the mentality to ever win a Super Bowl.
-There was a weird moment in the beginning of the game, the first moment you got to hear the referees. And I think his mic was malfunctioning, and instead of sounding normal, he sounded like a robot. I like that. It makes me think of the future, and how eventually all the games will be overseen by robotic refs in order to minimize errors in rulings. It makes me hope that the robots will still wear pinstripes, cause they're pretty cool.
-This game is in Indianapolis, and I know that the just got a new stadium a year or two ago. They had a shot in which they were showing all the different restaurants and stores at the stadium. I like stadiums where the main attraction is a game that is being played, but I guess I'm weird...
-So I haven't really been paying attention to the Vikings enough over the offseason to notice, but I'm really digging the beard that Coach Childress has going on. I've always felt that the 'stache of his never really made him look like a quality coach. I always thought he should shave it off so it would make him look tougher instead of looking like a lame uncle of mine. But man... the beard is intense. Makes me think he is a man's man... which is good, because he's supposed to be leading men. So, good job on the beard. Probably the best move of the offseason.
-Tarvaris Jackson is really good at handing the ball off. At this point, that's been his key asset in his game.
-I think the beer commercials that usually play during games has subconcsiously affected my decision to not drink. I've never really cared for some of them (mainly the "funny" Bud Light or Miller Lite commercials), because they usually opt for trying to be funny rather than... you know, advertising the product. But now that I think about it, I think the commercials' impact on me has been to make me assume that drinking is actually kind of lame. Because, you know, the message of the commercials (if there are any messages to them) is "hey! Drink our beer and then automatically become funny and involved in comically ludicrous situations!" Except that they're not really all that funny... and honestly kind of boring, because they all pretty much seem the same. And I've always sort of thought of drinking as sort of a boring way to socialize, so maybe it's the advertisers fault.
Anyway, the point of this is that I am watching the game, and I've been subjected to a bunch of beer commercials, and now all of a sudden I feel reaffirmed that I'm not terribly lame for my non-alcoholic lifestyle.
-The game is getting pretty pointless now. We're winning 13-3 in the 3rd. I'm going to stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment