Here.
Yes, the Packers NEED to win this game for their fans. Because having 11 NFL championships is not enough. Because the team that won the first two Super Bowls needs another one just to rub it in to those who have zero. Because the only publicly owned team in sports--with a season ticket waiting line of about 600 years--deserves to win every year. Because being so unbearably self-righteous about your perfect franchise isn't enough.
Also, let's get one thing right. The Packers don't deserve karmic retribution for what Favre did to them. For years they adored the jackass and pretty much anointed him the second coming. They enabled him. They created the monster. It was only a matter of time before the monster turned against the master.
I'm going to hate life when they win on Sunday.
I've embraced the dark side, and would much prefer to see the Pack win than the Steelers.
ReplyDeleteI mean, the Vikings aren't the worst organization around or anything, but they are kind of unlikeable as a group. And the Packers do kind of have a cool community thing, although I don't much like their team. The Steelers have the biggest (slanderous term) as their quarterback, so there's that. All told, I think I'd prefer the Pack to win.
I guess that I've never understood the need to hate one's favorite team's rivals. I mean, I think the White Sox aren't an attractive team, but they're preferable to the other Sox or the Yankees or the Phillies. I can see hating the Packers on account of Clay Matthews, but that seems much less justifiable than hating the Steelers for Roethlisberger.
I get that the Vikings aren't really the most likable team... but they are my team, I grew up with them, and I will support them as long as they don't stab the state in the back and move. And I know that to the outside observer, the Packers have a great organization that's worthy of fans' support. But I've heard too many people rub it in how miserable and inferior the Vikings are(which may all be true)--while exalting the Packers as paragons of virtue... that I can't stand the thought of them winning anything.
ReplyDeleteRoethlisberger is a dick, but I liked Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher back in the day... and it's hard not to go for them. Essentially, though... I just want the Packers to lose. In any case, neither of the fanbases "need" the Super Bowl as the article states, since they both have too many championships to count in the first place.
And I guess I honestly hate only two teams, the Packers and the Yankees (one team universally loved, the other universally regarded as evil... go figure). For me, it really isn't about hating those who you fight for first place with constantly (i.e. the White Sox are just guys you like to cheer against, cause you're going to need villains in sports every once in a while), but rather about teams that make you feel miserable as fans and make you question why you even follow sports in the first place. The Yankees I hate because... well, they represent all I find wrong with baseball. I hate the Packers essentially because they reaffirm just how miserable it can be to be a Vikings fan by having pretty much everything that we would want but don't have(...and because their fans are quite smug about it. Also Favre.)
I don't know if this makes any sense/coheres into any semblance of rational thought. And I probably shouldn't complain so much about a game that essentially has no actual impact on anything, but I'm honestly going to be quite upset if the Packers win on Sunday.