Oscars are in about 5 or more hours. I might be a little excited about it.
Going in, I'm hoping for somewhat of a miracle in that The King's Speech goes down--most likely to The Social Network, but hell... even The Fighter or Black Swan would be great. But that's not going to happen. So I'm conceding that and hoping that it simply doesn't win everything. How likely is that to happen? We'll see.
But in the meantime, here are a couple of winners that--if they were to be selected--would guarantee to piss me off completely.
1) Helena Bonham Carter for Best Supporting Actress--this is one of the first awards that'll be given out tonight, so if she gets called up, it's going to be a LONG night of King fellating. It's a pretty unremarkable performance--nice, but one that's only here because of the adoration of the film as a whole. And yet there's a small but decent chance it pulls the upset here. Huh. I'm going for Amy Adams in this category, but since she has no chance in the world--I'd like Steinfeld to pull it off for True Grit.
2) Geoffrey Rush for Best Supporting Actor--this is less "don't want the King's Speech to win every-damned-thing" and more related to the fact that Christian Bale absolutely owned the movie he was in.
3) Tom Hooper for Best Director--I don't want to bring up his opponent's pedigrees to describe why Hooper doesn't deserve it, since past credentials really shouldn't matter and it should go to the most deserving. Still--if in 20-30 years down the road you look at this race, you would guess that simply based off of their careers, the Coens, Fincher, Aronofsky, even O. Russell... might have taken this home. And time will tell whether or not Hooper's career will prove worthy to be considered with those names above. But judging from what I've seen (haven't seen John Adams or any of his television work, but I've seen The Damned United, and it's pretty by-the-numbers), I strongly doubt he's going to live up to the Oscar he's going to get tonight.
4) Annette Bening for Best Actress--yeah, this would be pretty stupid. Nothing against her personally, but I hated the movie and felt nothing for her character at all. Just sign on to do a biopic on Hilary Clinton or someone and get your Oscar that way...
I'll probably post something later tonight as well. Maybe during the actual broadcast. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment