Sunday, April 17, 2011





I really have no way of knowing what you might think of Norm Macdonald. He's one of those guys that you find absolutely amazing or just flat out stupid. You might guess my own opinion on him considering that I'm wasting a couple seconds of my life talking about him.

To me, what makes him great is the delivery. And I don't mean that he just delivers his jokes in a humorous way. It's more about how he just doesn't really care if his jokes aren't inherently funny--all that matters is that whatever he's doing humors him. And through sheer determination he forces the joke to somehow become funny. I also like how he can just lay right into a person--yet it doesn't come off as bitter or angry... but rather just a completely tactless troll.

It's weird how subjective humor can be, though. I mean, I find these clips absolutely funny... but a perfectly reasonable person might think this is completely humorless while enjoying whatever the hell you'd say Dane Cook likes to do. And I'm not trying to be elitist or say that I have a better sense of humor because I hate Dane Cook or whatever. I guess I'm just not really sure what tickles people and why, although I find it interesting nonetheless.

Anyway... back when I was 9 or so I started watching Saturday Night Live one week. I can't remember why, but I did. And what really caught my attention was Norm at the Weekend Update desk, and it was just blunt and funny and not something I had ever seen before. I turned in the next week expecting more of the same... and then it was revealed that Norm was fired for most likely insulting OJ Simpson too much. That was pretty disappointing.

He has a new Weekend Update-esque show on Comedy Central now. I watched the first episode with my brothers--it was alright. My brothers enjoyed it too... which is good. I think my sense of humor rubbed off on them. Not that I influenced them in any other useful way--but any little bit is nice, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Moth joke? Please. If he was hard-core he would have told the Ping-pong ball joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, given the time restraints that TV usually has, he probably had no choice but to not opt for a 30 minute long joke.

    But you're right. If he was hardcore, he would've done it anyway.

    ReplyDelete