Saturday, April 2, 2011

So I think it's pretty apparent that beer commercials unmistakably suck. And if you somehow don't agree with that, and you actually enjoy the majority of commercials beer companies put out, then you have poor taste in life. And that is a fact.

And the problem that I have found with watching so many NCAA Tournament games this year have been the overabundance of Bud Light commercials. And it's not like their current ad campaign just debuted and pissed the hell out of me--I'm pretty sure it's been around since at least the Super Bowl--but the amount I've seen during the past few weeks has resulted in a sometimes execrable viewing experience.

The main offenders:







Note the attempts to make the phrase "here we go" synonymous with Bud Light. In short, I hate it I hate it so much. It comes off extremely awkwardly, just like any catchphrase marketers decide to force into a scene's dialogue (see also: TV shows getting paid off by Microsoft to say "Bing it" instead of Google), and overall it seems overly contrived and calculated.

The only problem is this: it's kind of working.

A couple of times during the past few weeks, someone has said the phrase "here we go." And every single time--after they say it, my initial thought is "damn I hate those Bud Light commercials." And then I curse myself, because I assume I'm letting them win by associating the phrase with the beer.

Not that it really matters all that much. The fact that they have successfully made the phrase synonymous with the product in my case means nothing since I don't drink. And even if I did drink, I probably wouldn't drink Bud Light--especially because of their commercials.

But if this is their intent, and I'm susceptible to their little ploy (I thought I was not so easily manipulated by ads--perhaps that was just a total crock) then that means that other people might be falling for this. And that people who are less vehemently opposed to crappy commercials could hear that phrase and then suddenly and inexplicably find themselves craving crappy beer. And that's *wrong*.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the rest of the game now. I find myself kind of pulling for Butler, despite my having VCU in the final/general rule of cheering for the underdog. But whoever wins this I want to win the championship... it's just that I think Butler would probably have a better chance of winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment