Friday, April 15, 2011

My brother's birthday is today.

Today's a particularly cool day to have a birthday. One, the Titanic sunk on this day about 99 years ago--the world mourned, bad movies were made--heavy stuff. Two, Abraham Lincoln died on this day after getting shot in the head by that scoundrel John Wilkes Booth the previous night. Three, Jackie Robinson played his first Major League Baseball game, becoming the first African American to play in an MLB game. Four, in 1924, Rand McNally published its first road atlas (OK, so not actually interesting, but... I just wanted you to know I know how to use Wikipedia). Five, it's tax day--except not this year, for whatever reason.

So in essence, it'd be pretty cool to share a day with the death of the arguably the best president, a huge maritime disaster, and the IRS's moment in the sun.

One year when I was younger, my birthday coincided with the celebration of Victoria Day in Canada, and I was pretty pumped to share the day with some obscure holiday. I was going to learn all I could about the holiday and observe all the practices that Canadians followed on the day (I assumed it'd involve making celebratory Victorian cakes or something)... and perhaps, one day, even travel up north to celebrate my birthday and Victoria Day together.

But then the next year it was either on the 19th or the 21st, and was a holiday that only took place on Monday or something. I never forgave Canada for that.

Although looking at Wikipedia now, I might get over that... cause apparently in Cambodia on my birthday, they celebrate a National Day of Hatred. Which is simply AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment