Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I was at the Mall of America the other day, killing time one way or another, when I saw a T-shirt. It was a Vikings shirt, one right off the heels of Randy Moss getting traded back to the team and designed in the hopes of being those witty t-shirts with funny sayings and crap. It went something like this:

"You MOSS
be kidding me!
4 + 84 is
simply FAVRELOUS!!"

Few things:

1) I would like to think this is the worst t-shirt ever made.
2) In case you didn't get it, 4 and 84 are the numbers of Brett Favre and Randy Moss. Who play on the same team.
3) I would like to think that this was the result of some bigwig thinking that this was the funniest thing he's ever thought of, and despite the protests of everyone else, decided that this t-shirt would sell like f'n hotcakes. And thus, they proudly display it in their window, knowing that every day a mad rush would result from the knowledge that indeed, this store carries the funniest t-shirt of all time.
4) I don't know how many people have heard this, but when a sporting event occurs (say... the Super Bowl) and a team wins, they generally conveniently have t-shirts that proudly display that they are indeed the Super Bowl champions. Of course, they don't just print these as soon as the clock runs down, so that means they generally have to create "Super Bowl champions" t-shirts for each team. Anyway, the winning team usually has their championship t-shirt go on sale the next day, while the losing team... they usually have their shirts sent to third world countries since they can't really sell them off in America (although I'm pretty sure every irony-laden youngin' would have at least one in their closet, but that somehow remains an untapped market for sports memorabilia).

The reason I bring this all up is that Favre has a good chance of getting himself killed this week. He most likely has about 16 injuries at this point, including a noticeable limp, and pretty much the defense can smell it and will pretty much stop at nothing to make sure Brett Favre dies on field.

Which would make all these t-shirts irrelevant. And after all these Mall of America stores have sold exactly zero copies of the shirt, they too will ship the excess copies all off to Africa, where some kids in Malawi who grew up thinking the Bears beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLI will also think that 4 + 84 equals favrelous. (I guess it really isn't the same as sending off the Super Bowl loser shirts, since technically 4 + 84 has equaled favrelous about 12 times for 166 yards, but still).

Believe me, this would be a good thing (you know, for reasons other than my hypothetical situation involving kids in Malawi coming in possession of clothing). Brett Favre needs to go down. Let's list the reasons:

1) I hate Brett Favre.
2) He's been pretty abysmal this year.
3) I hate Brett Favre. Mainly, this is the reason. I didn't like him last year when he was doing great, and I sure as hell don't care for him now. And all my dream scenarios in which the Vikings won the Super Bowl involved Brett Favre going down and Tarvaris Jackson leading us to a come from behind victory. Not that I ever really expected this to happen, since Favre would probably try to play after amputating a leg... plus Jackson isn't really a good QB. But it was a nice thought.

But if there was ever a time where Favre would be yanked for Jackson, it would be this Sunday. He might just play terribly... throwing 3 picks in 10 throws, and Childress might decide that the injuries are bothering Favre to the point where taking him out of the game presents the team with their best chance to win. And then Jackson would come in. Hopefully for the rest of the season. And win or lose, it would be glorious.

Cause it would mean that the storied career of Brett Favre ended with him bruised, broken, in the center of a sexting scandal, and with him being bench in favor of TARVARIS F'N JACKSON. Seriously. For anyone who can't stand #4, this has to be the best way to go out.

(Although now that I think about it, the fact that the game takes place on Halloween makes me think Favre will make it through the entire game. Cause Brett Favre is pretty much a zombie. And it takes a whole lot to take down a zombie.)

Anyway: to recap. I hate a stupid shirt. A Vikings player needs to be sacrificed for the greater good (in order to help the team, placate my hopes and dreams, & make sure no one is spending money on that t-shirt). That player needs to be Favre.

This post is going to look super depressing when Favre finishes the season starting every game and helping the Vikings achieve a 6-10 record.

No comments:

Post a Comment