So here I am, sitting in the library, listening to Leonard Bernstein listen to Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue. I don't normally listen to classical or jazz or whatever the hell you'd like to call it, BUT... I'm reading a biography on Brian Wilson, plus I just watched a documentary on the man during the period when he rerecorded Smile... and Rhapsody In Blue gets namedropped. A lot. And because I'm an idiot, I need mad pop geniuses to tell me what they like in genres I'm not completely familiar in.
The lady next to me is watching something on Hulu. She just yelled out "don't!" at one of the characters on the show she's watching. (Well... "yell" meaning she said it somewhat audibly in library speak.) I'm now trying to figure out what she's watching now. I assume it's Grey's Anatomy, since that seems like the type of soapy drama that would get a lady to yell out in the middle of the library. But I really have no idea... glass just shattered on the show, though. Maybe that's a clue...
I'm trying to figure out a project to work on... something that could at least give my writings a little bit of focus, and maybe the little bit of inspiration. This is what fueled me starting up my other blog... which I haven't updated in weeks... but I'm not feeling that right now. I haven't abandoned it completely... I'll probably go back to it off and on from here on out... but right now I'm yearning for something else. Which is entirely my problem... I can't stick to something, and get bored easily.
I've thought about buying a bunch of the vinyls I've stumbled upon at the thrift stores and the like, but the problem with that is that I'd just be writing about a lot of music I'm already writing a lot about... and if I wrote about the weirder stuff, it'd probably be nigh impossible to find any samples of the music online, so no one would really know what I'm babbling about. Also my record player is pretty crappy, and there's shame involved in that (not that there should be... I've never been terribly picky about quality of sound, and it's pretty reasonable not to have a better system with my limited budget and somewhat varied interests.) But it's on the radar!
Oh... I know what I'm going to do.
Actually, it's a few things. One, I'm going to be compiling of favorite songs lists, with each list being devoted to a single letter of the alphabet. So... ostensibly my first one would be "favorite songs starting with the letter A". Why would I do this? Because it seems fun. And I don't think it's been done a lot (because it's a stupid idea), and perhaps I will find a common theme or motif for each letter (I won't, but still...)
Two, I'm going to write a lot about Christmas songs. Because it's about 40 days away and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. (I mean, you can ignore this for the next 40 days, but... please don't.) This is definitely going to happen. It's all this little internet page will be (the occasional despair over the Vikings will be mixed in though.)
That's about it.
I didn't really have anything else to write today.
No comments:
Post a Comment