OK. So the plan is that I'm going to update this EVERY SINGLE DAY until Christmas with a new song that is appropriately Christmas-y (or, if Christmas brings about negative connotations for you... songs that are decent enough to make up for the Christmas-ness (today's doesn't though... it's kind of a poor way to start off, but who cares)).
I'm actually going to stick with this too. I have a schedule mapped out and everything.
SONG #1:
This inclusion is less about the quality of the song and more about the fact that I want it to signify that I'm not including either John Lennon's "Happy XMas (War Is Over)" nor McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime." I don't hate Lennon's song (Phil Spector--who, you will find out, created the greatest Christmas album of all time--produced it) but Yoko Ono's part annoys me. "Wonderful Christmastime" however... that sucks.
Anyway, because they were the biggest band in the world, the Beatles recorded these small little Christmas records every year and released them for free to their fan club members, as a way to apologize for not replying to their fan mail because... they were the biggest band in the world. Usually the records consisted of them goofing off in the studio, playing random snippets of Christmas songs, wishing happy holidays to the fans... the like.
It's kind of weird, because a lot of the Christmas albums (at least the 60's ones) I've been listening to have included tracks where the artists involved wish the listeners a happy holidays while a bare arrangement of a holiday standard plays in the background. I don't know why this is the case, but apparently this was how it was in the 60's. So I am treating you to a holiday tradition of year's past right here, and you should be thankful.
Except this track really doesn't fit the description (so... nevermind.) In the year of 1967, the Beatles decided to actually write a track for the Christmas record, called "Christmastime Is Here Again", but with what appears to be a weird parody of a radio program interrupting and taking up most of the runtime. And... I really don't know what the hell's going on during it.
But the actual song is... well, it sounds pretty tossed off. But with charm! And it's the Beatles, so obviously it somehow becomes great.
And, as they say so eloquently... O-U-T spells out.
No comments:
Post a Comment