Monday, June 6, 2011



So this is pretty much the only movie I am excited for this summer, and it comes out this Friday.

Not that I'm huge into Steven Spielberg and direct homages to his craft...

And not that I'm huge into JJ Abrams either (although Star Trek was pretty great)...

And honestly, about 90% of the trailer doesn't necessarily blow me away either.

But the music, that starts at about 1:37 and plays for about 30 seconds? That sells me enough right there.

Of course, it's apparently lifted from a 70's flick called Cocoon, directed by some guy I can't remember, so it's essentially another movie getting me excited. But good taste has to be somewhat of a harbinger for things to come, right? So this flick can't possibly disappoint.

Honestly, though... I'm just getting myself pumped for this simply because it isn't a f***ing sequel/comic book franchise.

Actually, I've sort of arrived at the decision that I'm going to try to go out of my way to see these types of films. The "summer blockbuster that isn't derived from an already profitable franchise," I mean. (Not that this is crazy original, since... again, it's straight from the Spielberg playbook, but still.) I guess I get why the studios rely so heavily on the franchises, since it's all a business and it's what will make them the most money (here and overseas). And I don't want to be the 30 millionth person to complain about the lack of ideas in Hollywood (even though... I'm sort of already doing that), because I'm sure my money has gone towards a lot of the franchises that rake in all the cash. (It might go towards the new Transformers movie later this month too... and I know this makes me a bad person.)

But I guess my theory is that instead of complaining about everything that's released this time of year, it'd be just better to embrace something that's new and go out of your way to devote your money to unproven commodities. Not that it's probably going to change much, since it's just me deciding to do this... and I probably won't stick to it all that well either. And even if a lot of people started to do it, I doubt much would change (cause if Super 8 does really well, the thought probably won't be "gee, we should greenlight those other non comic-book blockbusters?" but rather "gee, so when can we start working on Super 9?"). So really, this doesn't mean a whole lot.

But it makes me feel more responsible, you know? I mean... I'm not going to go out of my way to see your crappy Hangover sequel, nor am I going to go out of my way to see Captain America, Green Lantern, or any other superhero movie that'll have sequel after sequel. Instead, I'm going to do the "right" thing and donate my money to movies that'll still make the studios millions and millions of dollars, which they will then use to finance their next sequel. But still! It might mean I see less of the same thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment