Monday, May 9, 2011

Way back when I was a wee lad (read: 18 years old), I had a small little blog. Sort of like this one, only not hosted on this site and much weirder/poorly written (or maybe that hasn't changed much...). It was fun. I kept it going for a while, and I had a goal to update it every single day. And with very few exceptions, I kept to that. For maybe two years? I don't know. Either way, it was a long time, and... now that I'm thinking about it, it's a kind of impressive display of commitment on my part.

At some point during that period, I started working at a grocery store, since... you know, having a job seemed like a good idea at the time. It kind of sucked, I haven't been back to that grocery store since the day I picked up my last pay check (if that conveys anything) and pay was minimal. The only thing that kept me going was that I actually tried to do a good job, while everyone else in my position didn't really care, so... the bosses liked me.

Which is good... sometimes it's nice to have the bosses liking you. But it came to the point where every time someone called in sick, the first person they would call was me. I didn't like my job, I wasn't getting a whole lot of money out of the damn thing... so I could've said no, but I usually didn't.

(I'm trying to go somewhere with this, for the record. Sometimes I worry that I veer off track, and that I'm not really trying at all to make this all somehow connect. I do try, for the record... but I veer off track nonetheless. Wait, is that worse?)

This caused me to work a lot of hours. Which meant that when it came time for me to plop down in front of the family computer in hopes of churning something out, it read something like this:

"Work was OK. I didn't screw up and it wasn't all that busy, so everything in that department was good. *Co-worker such-and-such* was working today, though... and since he/she doesn't really like me, that made everything worse. But I got through it, and I have the rest of the night ahead of me.

Umm... I don't know what else to write."

So, it wouldn't be the most riveting read in the short yet illustrious history of blogging, but it was better than not writing anything at all (at least for me). The only thing was that this sort of post started appearing more frequently. And then the majority of my posts became work recaps, since I didn't really know what else to write. Sometimes I'd mix it up with a profound yet brief closing line of "Hey, Led Zeppelin rocks." (They don't, actually... that was just an example.) Sometimes I'd just sort of trail off with a never ending stream of ellipses (which then influenced my writing style so much that I now use the damn things more than I use simple periods...) But essentially, the point of every entry was this: work sucks, I'm exhausted, I want to write every day but have nothing to say--pleasegodmakemylifemoreinteresting.

So with all that said... hopefully I'm not going to make a habit out of this...

Work was OK. I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I'm not sure my boss knows either... but I guess that'll make everything more interesting.

...and I don't know what else to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment