Here's the thing about social media websites that I really, really don't like: whenever a major event happens, it empowers the masses of people--whose opinions or updates on these sorts of things I really don't want to hear about--to offer some pointless sentence on the subject just because everyone else is commenting on it.
I guess I don't want to complain about it too much--because it probably does provide a use in spreading news to everyone (although really, there's better ways to quickly get that info aside from having my 2nd cousin write something about it (I don't actually know who my 2nd cousin is, but still.)), but I guess it's just something that's been bothering me for a while and now it's really popping up because THAT GUY has been killed.
Sample Facebook update that I'm just making up right now: "OMG. Bin Laden's been killed? Wow."
REPEAT THIS TIMES 100 AND YOU GET YOUR TYPICAL NEWS FEED AT THE MOMENT.
I suppose I don't mind if you have something interesting to say, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Which I guess could just be explained by the fact that I have friended the wrong people, or that this just happens when people have access to a platform that allows everyone to share whatever the hell is on their mind.
I've probably been guilty about it as well, so I don't really want make it seem like I'm trying to single everyone else out, but... good gravy is it annoying.
I could just say, screw it... I'm done with Facebook and Twitter and whatever else there might be, and then never ever have this problem again, but unfortunately it's all so ubiquitous now that were I to remove myself from said venues, I'd essentially be losing all form of contact with a large majority of people. (Also, Facebook is usually a good time waster if you need to kill 2 minutes, so yeah...) So I don't really know what there is I can do.
Except grumble about it to no one in particular, obviously.
Sorry.
ReplyDeleteIf you are referring to the fact that you commented on it... you would fall into the exception part, as someone with some bit of insight put into it.
ReplyDeleteOne post on my feed states that he NEVER would have imagined a black president would report the man as dead 10 years ago.
ReplyDeleteThis doesn't relate to anything, but... I need to write somewhere that I don't know what the hell that has to do with anything.