Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Watched the Timberwolves play the Pacers tonight--they just won by about 25. Wolves' record in games where I watch a significant portion of the game: 2-0. (Granted, a lot of the time if I actually turn on the game and they start losing by about 15, I turn it off... so that's a little bit misleading. But just a little bit.) Considering they've won a total of 16 games in about 66 games, I'd say that they should pay me to watch their games more often.

Of course, the reason why the Wolves won probably isn't solely because of me, but mainly because the Pacers couldn't hit a shot all night and essentially played about the worst game possible. Although... that could attributed to me as well. I was playing NBA 2K11 earlier today, and ended up playing the Pacers in my season mode, and they jumped out to an early 16-7 lead... only to start missing shots like crazy, resulting in me taking a 43-20 and them not scoring a point for the first 9 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Which was a performance not unlike the one the Pacers put forth tonight (only difference is that Danny Granger--their best player--was the only one who scored in the video game, whereas he couldn't make a shot to save his life tonight).

This just in: I have the ability to influence sports outcomes through the use of video games.

Since I'm already writing about the game, also of note: Kevin Love set the record for most consecutive double-doubles (since they started keeping track of such things). Honestly, it's at the point where he might just be the best player in the Twin Cities in all the major sports (Mauer and Peterson might be better, but... they're both not really playing at the moment, and I only live for today), and I can't even imagine where the team would be without him. I mean, they're already the 2nd worst team with a measly 16 wins... take Love off the team, would we only have 6 wins?

The scary part is that he's probably going to leave too if the team doesn't improve drastically soon. I don't know the details of his contract, but he seems to talk a lot about free agency--which might just be a negotiating ploy. But then again, he's from the West Coast and is living in a state that just got about 600 inches of snow this winter--I can't imagine any outsider wanting to stay. I hope this isn't the case, because as much as it would be annoying seeing him bolt for the Lakers, it'd be doubly annoying considering all the recent star players bolting for the warm city/large market teams. The thing I hate about baseball is that the races are usually boiled down to the Yankees and Red Sox. The NBA isn't a whole lot better, since the Lakers and Spurs have pretty much had a stranglehold on the West the past decade (although at least for the most part everyone's had competitive stretches where they've been close to unseating one of those two). But it'd be a lot worse if it always came down to the Lakers/Mavericks and the Knicks/Heat, which is what's going to happen if every star free agent just heads to 5-6 teams.

I don't know where I was going with this...

*submit*

No comments:

Post a Comment