The Minnesota Lynx won the WNBA championship last night.
It actually seemed pretty inevitable ever since the offseason when they lucked into the first pick in the draft, so it's nice to see something actually come to fruition. The thing is, though... I'm kind of mixed on the Lynx actually winning.
On one hand...
It's nice to see a Minnesota team actually win something for a change.
On the other hand...
I've pretty much embraced the town's losing culture. And... if the Vikings or Twins or one of the other major sports teams aren't going to actually go ahead and win a damn title, I kind of secretly want them to be spectacularly bad, or lose in spectacular fashion. It's a wholly unhealthy inferiority complex, and I want us to be the most tortured fanbase if we can't actually watch a winner.
And, the WNBA is a minor sport, and I don't have nearly the emotional investment in the Lynx that I do in the other teams in town. And... I don't want the Lynx's victory to be an argument against the Twin Cities being the most tortured sports cities.
Not that it's actually going to happen, since most people would probably just count the major sports. But still. I'm glad they won and all, but... it makes me feel we're now losing the race of tortured sports cities to Seattle and Cleveland.
We'll probably start getting even more tortured as a way to make up for the Lynx winning anyway. Like Adrian Peterson blowing out his knee tomorrow or something.
God, why did I write that?
No comments:
Post a Comment