Thursday, October 13, 2011

I am stuck in 2000.

I was reading the Wikipedia article about Roy Orbison earlier today, and I got to the section about his death, and read that he died in 1988. My initial thought was "hmm... he died about 12 years ago then." My next thought was that I'm an idiot for doing this all the time.

Seriously. This is what I do... take any historical event you can think of, and I will always calculate how many years ago it was by taking the year it took place and subtracting it from the year 2000. Sgt. Pepper came out 33 years ago. JFK was shot 37 years ago. End of World War II was 55 years ago. And so on. And then I marvel about how the hell I get that wrong every single time, and then wonder about how fast time has flown.

I have a couple theories as to why I do this.

A) 2000 is a very round number. And it is easy to calculate time past with it in place.
B) I must have tried to calculate the years past a lot around the year 2000, and it is somehow still sticking with me for no apparent reason.
C) I am old, and refuse to admit that things that came out in my childhood are almost 20 years old. (Rocko's Modern Life is 18 years old. That was my favorite show as a kid. It used to be new, you know.)

It's probably a combination of the three.

I don't know why exactly I'm writing about this. Maybe in the hopes that someone else does this too and I'm not just abysmal with my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment