I'm pretty excited about tonight's Vikings game, if you'll forgive me for writing about sports.
1) Because it's been the most crazy Vikings season ever... and thus, the most fun in a way. Too bad they aren't in the playoff hunt, cause it would be sort of fun seeing how many heads would burst over how our schedule/playing locations have been f-ed around with... plus to see how many people would talk themselves into seeing the Vikes beat a Super Bowl contender with our 3rd string QB...
2) Because I need DeSean Jackson to get about 26 yards catching tonight with no fumbles in order for me to win the Yahoo fantasy league I signed up for.
Now, I'm not really a fantasy guy... my participation in it stems mostly from the fact that I got bored one day in late August, and that I've had a couple of minutes to spare a week to see what was up with the team. But I sort of have a fondness for this team...
My team name is "Soup'R Crackers" (probably because I was watching Party Down at the time I named the team), and I pretty much have no standout guys. My main RB Frank Gore went down to an injury a few weeks ago, and I subsequently lost 3 consecutive weeks. Another RB, Ahmad Bradshaw, started off strong but then started to fumble a lot, and now it's a crapshoot on whether or not he'll actually get enough carries to do much in a given week (and I have to start him nonetheless). My QB was Brett Favre before I realized he sucked, then I switched over to Denver's Kyle Orton... who has pretty much been benched for Tim Tebow. Now I'm starting Josh Freeman, a nobody for Tampa Bay that has somehow done really well.
Also, it's been the most streaky team I could imagine. I started out the season with a loss... but then won three straight, going to 3-1. I then lost three straight, going to 3-4, before winning 4 straight to make it 7-4. I then lost three straight going to 7-7... and yet I somehow still made it into the playoffs. (Not that it's similar at all, since mine is a ten team league and I somehow had the 4th best record... but for comparison, there's a huge stink about how a sub .500 team is going to make the playoffs in the NFC West, and everyone's pretty much clamoring for the NFL to revise the rules to make sure nothing like this happens again) I went into last week's game playing the number one team... expecting to get killed, only to have had pulled off a complete blowout when the first place team had each of their players turn in poor performances.
And now I'm playing against the 2nd ranked team (who is actually ranked first in points, so... really they're the best team)... and I somehow managed to have a 14 point lead going into Monday. Unfortunately, they had Drew Brees for the Saints and Michael Turner for the Falcons still to play later tonight... which meant that in all likelihood, they'd put up massive numbers and I would need Jackson to put up 200 yards and 3 touchdowns or something like that. BUT THEN... Brees and Turner somehow both stunk enough. And now I have a chance to win.
Of course, I'm liking my chances... since the Vikings suck against the pass and there's a good chance Jackson will get a couple of looks. But of course, what will happen is that he'll somehow get completely shut out, or he'll get a 24 yard reception to start the game... only to come up injured on the play, just making me fall short of beating them.
Essentially, I'm expecting the worst. But I really want to win. One, because obviously who wouldn't, and two, I'd rather win it all after having a lackluster season all year long only to somehow do enough to eke it out every game... rather than, you know, having an actually good team and winning by dominance.
No comments:
Post a Comment