Saturday, January 23, 2010

4

Week 17, vs. the 3-12 Cardinals:
Oh, so this isn't really a playoff moment, but it's here because we should have made the playoffs. But we didn't.

Why?

Because of Nate Poole.

*sigh*

It's not like we were really deserving of a playoff spot anyway. We started out 6-0 and was looking to be in prime position to contend for the NFC Championship, but then we started losing. Not just that, but losing to TERRIBLE teams. The Cardinals were also terrible. We had no reason why we should have lost that game.

I remember the game pretty vividly because it was right off the heels of Christmas. My aunt got me this Vikings jacket that the team was wearing on the sidelines for that year. It was pretty cool. And warm. You know... I liked it. I decided that in honor of the Vikings winning 17-6 at the time, I'd put it on as a way to commemorate our playoff berth after a topsy turvy season that would hopefully stable out in the playoffs and lead to a Super Bowl berth.

Then the Cardinals scored with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

I'm watching it on YouTube right now.

They recovered the onside kick. Mike Tice looked moronic as he searched for answers.

Pass interference call that gives the Cardinals prime position.

They get within the 15 with a pass to Poole. Run to the 10 makes it 2nd&5 with 50 seconds left.

BUT WAIT...! Kevin Williams with a sack! Time out with 31 seconds left!

ANOTHER SACK! Time is ticking, surely they wouldn't be able to regroup and get into the endzone, right? This is the Cardinals we're talking about, right?

...

Well of course they scored.

I didn't wear that jacket for 5 years about, associating it with bad luck, bad memories, and crappy Vikings decision making. I think I broke it out a little last year, trying to "reverse the curse", but I probably wore it the last week and then the first round of the playoffs... we won the game to get into the playoffs, but not the playoff game.

I might have it sitting in my apartment somewhere. I'm probably not going to break it out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment