Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Top 10 "A" songs

So the whole Internet is blacked out for the time being, and I can't do any work right now. At the moment, I have nothing better to do except either maybe play some games or perhapsdo something productive-- and by productive, of course I mean "making a frivolous list." Guess which route I chose (well... I'm trying to get through Super Meat Boy, and the later levels are super frustrating, so... I guess this is what I'm doing for now.)

This list is kind of simple, as I'm going to list my favorite songs that start with the letter "A". I'm probably going to forget a couple songs here and there, since I'm using my iTunes to figure out my list, but then again... if it's not on my iTunes, is it really any good? (The answer is, of course, no.)

And theoretically, I'm going to try to do every letter in the alphabet... so to avoid monotony (spoiler: lots of Ween, lots of Beach Boys, lots of Radiohead), I've got a couple rules. One: band can only appear once per list. Two: The number 5 position will be devoted to a band that I otherwise would not put on my list. Three: The number 3 position will be the requisite "Beatles or Bob Dylan" spot. Because otherwise I'm assuming they'd be number one all the time. And no one wants to see a list where either The Beatles or Bob Dylan are on top YET AGAIN. Also, I reserve right to add bands to that #3 spot if they end up dominating the top of the list and I get sick of it, and I also reserve the right to expand the spot to number 4 as well if, say, I can't imagine an "I" list without both "I Am The Walrus" and "I Saw Her Standing There" on it.

In essence, I'm trying to make this as interesting as possible for me.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
-"All My Loving" by The Beatles, which didn't even make it to the 2nd round of deliberating, because I knew I preferred another Beatles song to it.
-"All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem, which was originally on the list, but got bumped because I couldn't find the original album version anywhere on Youtube. That's a rule too, by the way.
-"All Along The Watchtower" and "Are You Experienced?" by Jimi Hendrix (well, to be precise... "Are You Experienced?" is by The Jimi Hendrix Experience... but no one cares, really), both of which I have tremendous admiration for, but they don't inspire the same amount of love that other songs on this list do.

10. Magnetic Fields--Absolutely Cuckoo



I'm a little hesitant to put this on the list. I've been really digging into the band's "69 Love Songs" release, and this is one of my favorites... but objectively, there are probably better songs on the album, and in any case... I fear that it's on the list solely because it's a current favorite and won't have the staying power that other songs on this list have for me.

On the other hand... none of the other songs are sounding quite as appealing to me. And it features darkly funny lyrics with a melody that gets stuck in your head for days. And it has a ukelele. And it does all it needs to do in under 100 seconds. So screw it. Number 10.

9. Flaming Lips--The Abandoned Hospital Ship



Most of the Flaming Lips' stuff has some sort of optimistic bent to it, whether if it's masking some darker depths underneath, or hidden within an otherwise somber outlook. Or, you know, it's out in plain front in that noisy, blissful Flaming Lips way. But this song--it sounds weary and somewhat checked out--as if it's--at least for this one time--too tired to project any sort of optimism. Which I guess makes it seem especially poignant and honest.

8. Neil Young--After The Gold Rush



I'm writing these in the order opposite of how you're reading it, starting with the top song and working my way on down. And right about now I'm beginning to realize that the best adjective to describe all these songs is "pretty." This wasn't a conscious decision at all, and I'm sure (or at least I'm hoping) that other top tens of mine might skew towards songs with a little more edge. But as it is, "pretty" is the best word I can think of to describe the overall sound of these songs, and it's the best word I can use to describe this Neil Young ballad.

(Also, his inclusion here makes my list about 18% Canadian (it would be 20%, but... Levon Helm had to go and get born in Arkansas, so...) So not a bad showing for the Canucks.)

7. Ween--The Argus



So--if I continue producing these lists for every letter of the alphabet--I am assuming that Ween is going to appear on pretty much every list. So you might as well learn to love them.

Anyway, this lacks their trademark humor--and is probably played as straight as any song in the band's repertoire--but as an ode to the type of music that "Stairway To Heaven", Pink Floyd and countless prog bands of the 70's emulated--it's quite impressive and lovely. And touching, too--in a weird, spaced out sort of way.

6. Jethro Tull--Aqualung



Who *doesn't* like Aqualung? Multi-parts, iconic riffs, plaintive acoustic sections, killer guitar solos--these are reasons to like songs.

5--AKA THE SONG FOR THE SAKE OF DIVERSITY: NEU!--After Eight



This is--again--the spot reserved for songs from bands that I otherwise probably wouldn't think twice about including. And this band, hailing all the way from Germany and coming from the same Kraut Rock scene that bands like Can and Kraftwerk dominated, gets the benefit of the doubt.

I would probably describe their music as sounding much more experimental than this song, but this does feature the minimalist drum patterns and drones that the band is apparently famous for. It just happens to also sound like The Stooges, or even proto-punk.

4. Across The Great Divide--The Band



I'm not sure really what to say about this song, except that I'm somewhat surprised I have it so high up this list--and yet, I can't imagine anyone *not* liking this song. It seems so gosh darn affable and joyful... I mean, if you're huge on Marilyn Manson and the like, I can see why you might not like this. BUT STILL.

Also, the vocals.

3--AKA THE BEATLES OR BOB DYLAN SPOT. Beatles--Across The Universe



To be honest, this would probably be first... but I didn't want to put a Beatles song first, so I enacted a silly rule that bans the Beatles from ever reaching the top spot. Which is essentially ineffective, since I am telling you right now that this song is probably my TRUE number one. But still. It's important to me that I have arbitrary rules.

This is the Phil Spector-produced version, which is the one that I prefer. I think certain Beatles purists hate it (as well as Lennon himself, I believe), because it slows down Lennon's original vocals and adds layers of strings over what was an acoustic song intended for a wildlife charity record (and in essence, changed the essence of the song from gentle to ethereal.) But that ethereal atmosphere, plus the slowed down vocals, only add to the beauty for me.

2. Tom Waits--Anywhere I Lay My Head



I've been trying to educate my brother on music, ever since he revealed to me once when Stairway To Heaven came on the radio that he had never heard the song before. So that has mostly consisted of listening to the radio in the car with him, and telling him all about the band. And Tom Waits' "Satisfied" from his latest release came on, and I think what I told him went something like "this is Tom Waits, and he is awesome." And then the vocals kicked in, and my brother immediately responded, "yes he is." It might be the biggest highlight in my 22-year career of having siblings.

In any case, if I ever get around to every letter of the alphabet... I'm assuming that there's only going to be a couple songs by Tom Waits seriously considered throughout the whole thing. I'm also assuming that most of them will also place extremely high upon the list. And so this is at number 2, mostly for the way the first part sounds like the most touching eulogy to one's self one can write, as Waits seems to sing his heart out... and the way the second half seems to render it all a joke. It's quite brilliant.

1. Van Morrison--Astral Weeks



Mystical poetry. Like a stroll through a dream world with your loved one that you hope will never end.

I could possibly understand why some might not like this (cause, I suppose it's a little meandering), but nonetheless... everyone should. Maybe just listen to the video 13-14 times or so, and let it seep in. That should do the trick.

1 comment: