Lots to like about the Oscar nominations:
1) Winter's Bone in the final slot over The Town=great choice. The Town seemed to be in the mix simply because it put up some good box office numbers and it didn't completely suck (even though it really wasn't that good). And Winter's Bone makes a fine replacement... I'm gonna rank the ten Best Picture nominations for you in order of my favorites:
1) Black Swan
2) The Social Network
3) The Fighter
4) Toy Story 3
5) Winter's Bone
6) True Grit
7) The King's Speech
8) Inception
9) 127 Hours
10) The Kids Are All Right
Unfortunately, with 12 nominations... I think The King's Speech is now the favorite to win. Not that I'm completely against the movie--it was conventional, but still entertaining and well done--but it's such a safe choice. But I guess its resurgence adds a little intrigue back into the Best Picture race, cause it seemed for a while that The Social Network was going to run away with it.
2) Coens over Christopher Nolan=wasn't really clamoring for the upset, since I thought the Best Director field was pretty much sewn up, but the idea of people getting pissed off over Nolan getting snubbed again seems pretty funny to me. (Maybe if there's enough outcry, they'll expand the Best Director slots to 10...)
And the Coens getting in is always good, even though I thought True Grit wasn't their best. What's interesting is that the film got 10 nominations, 2nd most behind The King's Speech... which I would think has to insert it back into the race for Best Picture. I mean, The King's Speech and The Social Network will be slugging it out, but True Grit might not be far behind. Inception's dreams are dead, though.
3) Best Actor/Actress had a couple of disappointments for me: Wahlberg didn't get in for The Fighter, and Steinfeld didn't get bumped up from Supporting to Lead. But of the performances I've seen, I can't complain about who made it in... except Bening for The Kids Are All Right, but that's my dislike of the movie and her character clouding my perception of the actual performance (I mean, she did a good job making me hate her, so that's good, even though I'm not sure that was the point of the performance...).
4) John Hawkes for Winter's Bone -- nice! It's kind of a shame that it came at the expense of Andrew Garfield for The Social Network (I would've preferred Armie Hammer anyway, but both of them were deserving), but I can't think of anyone who should have been snubbed instead. Anyway the Academy voted, this was going to be a really solid 5...
5) Exit Through The Gift Shop in--yes!
That's about it, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment