Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm watching the Super Bowl. I'm going to write while watching it.

I'm going to cheer for the Vikings.

5:28: Why are they stiffing Rice in favor of Smith for the coin toss? Rice was easily the best WR to play the game, would probably be in the top five for best players ever, while Smith is... OK. Sure, he's got the rushing yards all time mark, but I don't think anyone would argue he's a top 3 RB.

Also, that LeBron/Howard commercial was lame. They couldn't think of any cool dunks to do, so they just decided to rely on CG crap? Very weak.

5:42: Bud Light commercial: the worst. Snickers commercial with Abe Vigoda: cool. Tim Tebow commercial: stupid. That's my winning analysis of the first commercial break. You're in luck, cause there's more to come!

(It's kind of hard to actually write about something 30 seconds long, cause the brevity of them force you to churn out words as quick as possible, since there's another commercial right there in the wings.)

5:47: I'm sort of sitting here, ambivalent about the game, hoping that one team gives me a reason to cheer for them. It's less ideal than having a clear favorite play for their first Super Bowl in 30 years after losing 4 Super Bowls already... but it's less stressful, at least. I'd probably be crying with every Colts first down.

As it seems so far, I think the Saints are going to need to win this with their defense and force some turnovers. Their offense hasn't really wowed me as much as I feel they should be (throwing it deep on 3rd & 2 3 plays into the game = not a good idea).

5:54: Words cannot express how much I hate Bud Light commercials. It's probably because they always seem to amuse people despite the fact that they're becoming amazingly formulaic (I can't describe the formula to you right now because I'm distracted by football, but I'm assuming you know what I'm talking about). I hate people.

6:02: So... the Colts just scored... and that drive looked pretty impressive and crap.

Now... if the VIKINGS were in this game, that drive might not happen. And then we score... and then go on to win.

I hate life.

6:19: I don't know how I feel about Shutter Island. Don't think it's going to be essential Scorsese (cause... nothing he's made in the last 10 years has really been essential), but it could be decent, right?

6:21: David Letterman's spot for the Late Show = awesome and yet also making Jay Leno seem like a humorous guy for agreeing to appear on the commercial. It doesn't make any sense...

6:37: Colts secondary is looking pretty suspect, which should mean good things for Brees and the Saints. Even if they get in here, though... they have to hate that the Colts are pretty much assured to score in the 2 minute offense.

6:39: Go for it... GO FOR IT.

6:42: WHY DO YOU RUN IT HERE.

6:45: Well, they get the ball back, so they might still be able to do something. Still, you've got Drew Brees beating the crap out of the secondary, and you run the ball?

7:01: OH MAN. THE WHO. THE WORLD IS RIVETED.

And... also, they're not sounding all that good. Daltrey's timing seems all off. But the stage looks cool. People singing along to Baba O'Riley. The middle aged rich folks who bought tickets to this are having the TIME OF THEIR LIVES AS THEY RELIVE THE DAYS OF THEIR YOUTH. HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD. MEET THE NEW BOSS SAME AS THE OLD BOSS.

7:08: Just need Won't Get Fooled Again to complete the CSI theme trifecta...

And there you go.

To be fair, they're finishing a lot better than they started off. But the audience is enjoying it much more than they should be.

7:15: The problem with the Super Bowl halftime show is that anyone that would conceivably play at it would terribly suck, either by a) being washed up for a agood 20 years, or b) being a "popular" act of today (and thus being terrible). So it's never going to improve... until 30 years from now, when 70 year old Thom Yorke and Radiohead rock our 50 year old socks off.

7:21: HOLY BALLS ONSIDE KICK THIS JUST TURNED INTO A GAME.

OK. SCREW IT. GO SAINTS. BEAT THE S*** OUT OF THE COLTS.

7:27: This is a game now. Beautiful. I admire the balls of Sean Payton.

Take that however you like.

7:37: OK. So now it's just going to be everyone scoring until the team with the ball last wins. It just looks like a slugfest now.

8:09: Well, I was wrong, but the Saints have a chance to take the lead now... I really don't know why the Colts went for a 50 yard field goal, though.

8:14: Score... 2 point conversion fails. Prediction = Colts take 6 plays to score a TD here.

8:19: Nevermind. 2 point conversion good.

OK, so... if the Colts tie the game with like 30 seconds in the game, THEY SHOULD GO FOR TWO. AND THEN I'D BE CHEERING FOR THE COLTS.

8:28: Green Police=winners of the worst commercial. GAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I WISH GLOBAL WARMING WAS A HOAX.

8:29: Well, that's the Peyton Manning I used to know.

8:45: Two things.

1) The whole "Manning as one of the best QBs to ever play the game" can end for now. The first Super Bowl win--OK, but still. Other than that one game against the Patriots during their Super Bowl run, Manning can't win when it comes down to it.

2) Should have been the Vikings there...

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment