I haven't really been on top of upcoming releases as I have been in the past. Basically, all I know is that The Flaming Lips are coming out with Embryonic, and The National might have an album out this year. Otherwise, I've been listening to P-Funk the past few months and could care less about anything coming out soon. (I feel bad for liking P-Funk as much as I do, for the record... not because I think it's sorta bad, but because I'm not worthy enough for it. I feel like it should compel me to "groove and funk" (and all those other words that as a totally white guy feels awkward to say), but mainly I just enjoy the immense creativity and balls out craziness. Anyway. I digress.)
But hey! Flaming Lips! New stuff! Coming out soon! Exciting, right? Well, considering their last album had approximately 2 songs I cared for, it's more of a cautious anticipation than anything. But yeah. They posted two new songs on their Myspace.
It seems to me (based on these two songs) that they are going to a weird-experimental sound rather than the cuddly-quirk of the last two albums. Which is welcome, of course, although "Convinced Of The Hex" didn't really grab me, since it seems like there's nothing interesting going on other than the general chaotic mix of sounds. And "Silver Trembling Hands" is getting a lot of love (from what I've seen), but to me the only thing holding it together is the Krautrock-esque rhythm, and everything else seems... forced. I don't know. Even if I'm not a huge fan of the two selections, they still give me a sense that they're going in a direction I might approve of, so that's good. Also, it's apparently a double album, so *something* has to work for me.
More more exciting for me is the song that Muse has released from their upcoming album, even though the general consensus seems to be that it's a less-than-inspired ripoff of Queen. The song is operatic and bombastic (which I guess invites the Queen comparisons, even though I really don't like Queen), but I don't know... I like it. I think the key to enjoying Muse is firmly believing that they are supposed to be completely over-the-top ridiculous, and enjoying them for accomplishing that with flying neon colors.
But what do I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment