Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hey, lookie here...

I'm about halfway through a Coen Brothers class (the last class I'll ever have to take--until life destroys me so thoroughly that I retreat back to the friendly confines of academics), and it has been enjoyable so far. I'm not sure if I'm learning a whole lot--other than the brothers would hate the class and how we're trying to read their films in a scholarly manner and such--but you know... you get to watch some cool films.

I'm going to give a short, relatively thoughtless take on each film watched thus far because I can and I feel like I need to write something to occupy some space in here:

(More after break.)

Blood Simple
This is the one Coen film I hadn't seen that we have watched so far. I had heard it was somewhat film noir-ish and everything, but what struck me was how funny it was. I mean, I suppose every film of theirs has some sort of black comedic element, but the entire film after the initial "death" is just a huge comedy of errors where everyone assumes one thing, gets it completely wrong, and doesn't bother to clarify with each other to avoid the whole mess anyway. The scene in which one character is trying to dispose of a body is ridiculous/pathetic in his inability to just get rid of the f'n body. I liked this one a lot.

Raising Arizona
I didn't really like this the first time I saw it, but now I can enjoy it for the absurdly cartoonish romp that it pretty much is. I'm not really buying the sentimental side of it, but you know... it's fun to see John Goodman and Nicolas Cage have a little fun with this. There's a baby in the apartment above me, by the way. I mention this because I did not know there was one the first week and a half I lived here. Maybe they gave birth. Maybe they stole the baby...

Miller's Crossing
A very densely packed film. On an intellectual level, this ranks up there with some of their best stuff, as the Tom Reagan character provides some crazy complexion, as you don't really know where his head and his heart are at (or something to that effect... I'm tired and I'm actually writing about this last because I couldn't think of anything interesting to say about it... not that I'm saying anything interesting about any of the films, but you know...). I must say that it is a bit of a slog to get through compared to their other films, as the film might be a little *too* dense and perhaps a little short on the dark humor.

Barton Fink
A lot of reviews tend to state that this is a film that satirizes Hollywood and how it "sucks the soul out of the writer." I don't really agree with that. To me, Barton Fink is a pompous intellectual who thinks he's writing stuff catered to the common man, but has sheltered himself from that very common man by secluding himself in the intellectual New York community. Not to mention that Barton's clearly a hack--whose "wrestling picture" screenplay essentially mirrors the play that got him the gig in the first place--and not to mention that the "common man" that Barton supposedly desires would probably rather go see the generic Hollywood products anyway. So both Barton and Hollywood are producing formulaic drivel--but at least Hollywood is upfront about it, which is at least somewhat commendable.

The Hudsucker Proxy
Everyone in class hated this... which I cannot for the life of me understand. Perhaps it is because we've been watching a bunch of Coen brothers films, gotten used to the style, and then this comes out of nowhere and essentially announces that it's not going to be a good film. Which is why I like it, but I guess that's because the idea of the director giving the viewer absolutely nothing of what they want tickles my fancy in a contrarian way. The characters aren't really likable, the humor is kind of terrible (in a way that it becomes humorous), and they stick to conventions rather than subverting them in any sort of way. And that's what is interesting about it. I mean, the plot hinges on some guy literally stopping time out of nowhere, and we're supposed to go along with it. It's great.

Fargo
Watching the film this time it struck me how it came as no surprise that this was their biggest success to date, as it is just amazingly accessible. The characters are relatable, the humor is pretty apparent, the plot is pretty easy to follow and it has a pretty clear moral at the end of it. I think I might hold Barton Fink in higher regard, but it's still one of their best. I don't know. I've seen the film so many times that I'm at a loss of what to say for it.

I'm finished.

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that people who are wild about Coen Brothers films abhor Wes Anderson films and vice versa, even though they both put a lot of effort in producing meaning and intent behind seemingly (and sometimes in actuality) very ordinary scenes. They both seem iconic enough where the way one of them creates style clashes with how the other does. Just a theory. I can appreciate the quality of Coen Brothers films, but I don't necessarily ever enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I wouldn't say that I don't like Anderson. Rushmore's probably got to be up there among my favorites, and The Royal Tenenbaums is pretty great as well. In a battle between the Coens and Anderson, however, I'd go with the Coens, mainly because Anderson's style is much too defined (which is why I disliked The Darjeeling Limited, since it seemed such a by-the-numbers product).

    I am intrigued to see The Fantastic Mr. Fox, though.

    ReplyDelete