But it's totally not a big thing.
Even though I'm shivering at the moment.
Minnesota sometimes likes to remind the world that it exists, and it does so by sometimes fulfilling its expectations as one of the coldest states. Most of the time it's really not cold at all, but this recent snowfall has hit quite suddenly.
Things that happened due to this:
1) Saw my first car accident ever, which really wasn't much of one, but still. As the snow was beginning to ramp up yesterday, I was at a bus stop when I heard tires screeching in front of me. A car was turning left, made a complete stop, and the car in the back couldn't come to a complete stop behind her. He kind of nicked her as she started to turn left, so the damage was minor, but still. It was kinda cool. I gawked a bit. They probably felt stupid being the first people to get into an accident of the 2009-2010 winter season (they probably weren't the first... but they were close, probably).
2) I went to work with two pairs of socks, long shorts under my pants, and about 5 layers on top. Usually I just go with the simple one pair of socks and just pants route, but I have to work a considerable distance to work, and I didn't know how well I'd hold up waiting for a bus for 10-20 minutes at 11:30-ish.
As it turns out, it was actually a more pleasant walk than it was going to work earlier in the day. One could most easily attribute this to the fact that the wind died down considerably. I attribute it to the fact that somewhere in the 6 hours between trips I became much more of a MAN. In capital letters and everything.
As it is right now, I consider myself a winter survival guru.
I survived this with flying colors, I survived my toes being completely frozen earlier in the day, I can survive anything. I'm typing this right now while the heat in my place is turned off. (I'm doing this with the use of a much more economically efficient heater fan, but ignore that for now.)
I can pretty much handle anything mother nature throws my way right about now. I am, for all intents and purposes, a machine.
Of course, now I'm going to tempt fate and it's going to be -40 tomorrow and all my windows will randomly shatter, but whatever. I'm cool.
(Get it? Get it? That was a pun, because of how cold it is outside.)
(It's actually funny. Seriously. I promise.)
No comments:
Post a Comment